Carb questions!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb questions!

Ok I'd like to get a few opinions on which carb to run. I've heard good things on both the super e and the mikuni. I have also heard a few bad things, what are your opinions?

Well Chase, I have been running Super E's on both my present bike and my old iron head that I had before this bike. I like them because they are a very simple carb. Anyone can take them apart and work on them. They are easy to jet and they do have a accelerator pump. Not hard at all to tune them. Parts are all over the place, like rebuild kits, and there are performance items like the Yost power tube and Thunder jets for them. They are very old school, Old Tech but still a solid performer. If you are running a stock CV carb I think you might have to change your intake manifold though I'm not sure about that. Any way Old School, Easy to work on and tune, Dependable, and decent to good performance.

Comment

I am a Mikuni guy myself. Best part is a HSR 42 works with your stock manifold.
      Bonneville might have beat us again this year but that White Bitch is going down in 2018!!!

Comment

I like the cv carbs. Simple, and about as close to fuel injection as you can get. I read that somewhere. And if you need bigger. They got 'em.

Comment

• Greek
          Greek commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm not sure Stocker but I think he is running a CV carb now. I think he is running a 95 Sporty and I think that is what they came through with.

Yea, I'm running a cv carb on my 95 sporty, it also has the thunderslide kit in it (got dirt cheap). I'm leaning towards the hsr42 due to a few guys I ride with have them and swear by them. Plus my tuning guy told me if I put the mikuni on there, it'd feel like I just did the top end again adding close to 10HP

Comment

• Greek
          Greek commented
          Editing a comment
          Not knocking your tuning guy but I doubt you will pick up 10HP just changing the carb. But hey If you do let me know and I will run right out and buy one. They do make a great carb and I hear they have great throttle response. They have been around a long time as the first one I ever ran into was in 1970 on a inline 4 cylinder 750 Honda. It had four Mikuni's on it. The Japs have always used them on a lot of their bikes through the years. They are for sure one of the best carbs on the market. You can't go wrong installing one on your bike. It will be a big improvement over what you are running now.

I have no experience with the Super E, but I love my Mikuni HSR 42.
        Head Above Water...Ass Below The Radar

Comment

Love my Mik-42!

Comment

So i went to the local bike swap meet, and found a mikuni 42 and bought her for $75. Get it home clean it all up and download the manual to find out what was missing and it seems like the throttle lever is on the opposite side than what the manual shows. I'm curious because its missing the bracket to hold the cables for the throttle and idle and if I buy the TM42/53 part number the manual suggests, it might be the wrong one. Any input here would be greatly appreciated. Will post pictures shortly

Comment

Mik-42 throttle wrong side http://iob.imgur.com/uYGg/gdkCDHUACC

Comment

So after some research I found out this is an early model mik42. Hard to find parts for. Is it possible to change out the throttle lever and accelerator pump hardware to the new style?

Comment

Working...
                X