08 xr heads oil drain hole ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 08 xr heads oil drain hole ?

So...if I plug the oil return hole beside the intake port, will it drain back through like a normal head, or not ? Dude has a set for sale, and they have the breather hole like a regular 08 head. I thought XR's breathed through the rocker box cover ?

I believe that that drain hole you are talking about is for the cylinder head oil cooling that goes around the exhaust seat.
    Bonneville might have beat us again this year but that White Bitch is going down in 2018!!!

Comment

Yea, I think that is what it does, is that the pump side or drain side ? Doesn't the XR head drain back differently? Dude selling the heads said that it can be used on 04 up sportsters if you plug that hole. My question is will the oil drain back like the 04 up bikes, down the holes by the studs, you know where the old style 04 to 06 bikes have the o-ring leak problem. I need to find a oil flow print for the rubber xr's. Yea the oil is pumped in through a hole on the intake side, and drains out on the otherside backside of head on exhaust side. I need to find out if they will drain like a regular head if I plug those holes?
      Last edited by stocker; 05-01-2017, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Pretty sure that hole on the sides has nothing to do with the draining of the rocker boxes. 2 separate oiling systems. But you will need head gaskets designed for an XR as they have a special raised area for those heads.
        Bonneville might have beat us again this year but that White Bitch is going down in 2018!!!

Comment

I understand how the oil pump feeds the the heads and then exits out the lines on the other side. I am wondering and trying to find out if they will still drain back to the case like the regular heads. Dude on ebay has an 08 bare (nos) silver one and an 08 bare (nos) black one. He said that the holes just need to be plugged and it will be fine. Where is the raised area on the head so as to require different head gaskets? You talking about where the o-ring used to go on the 04 to 06 head gaskets ? I hate to think too much anymore about this shit. If there is no performance gain except exhaust valve cooling; I don't need them. I see the hole in the heads now Dan. Hell that looks like a problem waiting to happen. Think I'll pass.
          Last edited by stocker; 05-04-2017, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X