Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oil leak at front pushrod tube seal base.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

those bolts can be used multiple times but they are quite easy to break. I put blue loctite on them and always torque them to ONLY 135 in pounds.
    Last edited by NRHS-Dan; 08-09-2017, 08:41 AM.
    Bonneville might have beat us this year but that White Bitch is going down in 2017!!!

Comment

OK, maybe just a fluke then. I usually aim for the middle of the torque values when given a range to accomodate any variance in torque wrench calibration.

I'll pick up some new bolts from HD tonight and do that. Blue Locktite and only 135 in/lbs.

Looking closer at them this morning. One is barely "necking" and the other definitely is and has cracked (but not broken) at the neck.

Comment

Ok, so my local dealer didn't have the bolts. In fact, no one did for a 200 mile radius. Since there's a shit ton of sportsters out there and none of the dealers carry replacements, odds are these don't break enough for a dealer to
        bother stocking. I found some grade 8 flange head bolts at Fastenal than seemed more than up to the task of withstanding a whopping 130 in/lbs.

i'm going to chalk this up to user error. Here's what probably happened: the slim heads on the stock bolts had me pushing down on the head of the torque wrench while tightening. That and me coming up to torque really slowly prevented the clicker from clicking as it really never had enough motion to actuate the clicker. Meh, I'll buy it.

Anyhow, she's all buttoned up and running again. Hopefully i don't have a leaking pushrod tube oring .

Comment

does craftsman make a inch lb torque wrench? or were you using a ft lb one at 10-13ft most tourqe renches are not as acurate at the low end of the scale. Well, hopefully I dont break mine. Ive been automotive and diesel mechanic for quite a while. Not much experiance working on motorcycles.

Comment

Many of the 1/4" drive torque wrenches use in lbs. That is what I use on those small bolts.
            Bonneville might have beat us this year but that White Bitch is going down in 2017!!!

Comment

I have a 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 drive torque wrenches. The 3/8 and 1/2 are Craftsman Microclickers, while the 1/4" drive one is Park Tool one I keep with my bike (bicycle) tools. With my bicycles, I'm often tightening aluminum fasteners into carbon fiber, so the granularity of the Park one comes in extremely handy.

The 3/8 drive wrench has a scale in in/lbs, but I typically use the Nm scale for most things, as for a lot of things on the Sporty are spec'd in low ft/lb ratings. So, I either have to use the 3/8 wrench and convert ft/lbs to in/lbs or use Nm.

I'm looking for a quality digital 3/8 drive torque wrench for most of my motorcycle stuff, as I've found some stuff requires both torque wrenches, like torquing down the heads with the Cometic gaskets. I have to start with the 3/8 and transition to the 1/2" for the torque sequence, and wind up with one step where its the ultra high range of the 3/8 and barely on the scale for the 1/2"

Comment

If you can afford it. Snap-on is likely the best.

Comment

If I was working as a wrench professionally then hells yah.

But I don't, so I'm looking for more of a compromise.

I just saw this, which looks like a what I'm looking for. I've had pretty good luck with Craftsman in the past. This however, seems a bit too good to be true.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-3-8-i...qQtRoCcb_w_wcB

Comment

I have a gearwrench brand 1/4 tourqe wrench. It's made in the USA and sells for 89-150. I don't know... I don't trust Chinese craftsman tools for torquing.
                    Another good brand http://www.torqwrench.com/ they manufacture most name brand tourqe wrenches.
                    Last edited by jkhawaii; 08-10-2017, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Cool. I will check them out. Thanks for the tip!

Comment

Working...
                      X