Removing clutch wave plate.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing clutch wave plate.

Is the clutch harder to modulate if the waved plate is replaced with a extra clutch?
    If one had to chose one, would it be better to put a stronger clutch spring? Or extra plate? To hold a upgrade to 1250cc.
    Do the wave plates fail regularly?

I have never had a spring plate fail, but I only have them in street ridden bikes and I don't rawhide them. The hotrods that get thrashed have the Energy one kit with 25 % stiffer diaphragm spring.

Comment

I have seen a bunch of the spring plates fail on the 2004 and newer bikes. For some reason the older sportys and Buells do not fail. I think they got a new supplier who is using inferior rivets.

I would recommend you do both the extra plates AND a stiffer clutch spring. As Stocker said the Energy 1 kit with the 15% (the 25% is overkill for a mild 1250) stronger springs work excellent and the lever pull is still very manageable.
      Bonneville might have beat us this year but that White Bitch is going down in 2017!!!

Comment

Going to convert to the 38T primary drive gear to. It's a bit hard to find out what parts I need for that though.

Comment

all you will need is the 38 tooth sprocket and alt rotor and the longer primary chain. Everything else will work fine with it,
          Bonneville might have beat us this year but that White Bitch is going down in 2017!!!

Comment

• jkhawaii
            jkhawaii commented
            Editing a comment
            Any brands you recommend? Or, OE is fine?

Yea 15 % diaphragm spring. I meant 25 on something way meaner than what you are doing.

Comment

Originally posted by NRHS-Dan View Post
            all you will need is the 38 tooth sprocket and alt rotor and the longer primary chain. Everything else will work fine with it,
            You want to use the OE parts

Comment

• jkhawaii
              jkhawaii commented
              Editing a comment
              Not those aftermarket ones that say they have a better magnet?

The factory parts are extremely reliable so I recommend you stick with what we know works

Comment

Picked up a 04 Buell XB12 clutch spring. That was still the firmer spring, I know in 2006 Buell went to a softer spring. Did the sportsters also go with lighter springs in 06?

Comment

883s have a much lighter spring than the 1200 models.

Comment

Surprised I haven't been able to find a chart, of all the avalable clutch springs, and their tension.
                  Like, when a manufacture says 15% stronger.. 15% stronger than what spring? I got a stock XB12 spring because I know it's strong enough to hold what I'm planning and, having owned a 04 XB12 I know I don't really want a spring stiffer than that. I'll still get the extra plate kit, but use the stock XB12/XL1200 spring.

Comment

when they say 15% they mean compared tor a standard 1200 spring.

Comment

Working...
                    X