Kick stand loose?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kick stand loose?

So ever since I bought my 95 sporty, the kickstand hasn't been very "tight" when you kick it back. I have to reach down and put it up onto the rubber boot it is supposed to rest against. I put a new spring on it which didn't hold it back tight like I feel it should, very wobbly and scrapes the ground on left turns. Anyone have a good fix for this?

Did you replace the bronze bushings on each side of the pin ? You can usually find something at the hardware store that works. One goes on the top part of the pin and one goes on the bottom part. Go to ronniesharley parts and you will see the diagram

Comment

No I didn't change the bushing. Thanks for the diagram, getting sick of the wobbly kickstand

Comment

Yep. Ronnies Harley parts microfiche is nice. Covers almost every model bike the MoCo ever pawned off on us. The pin should go up through the bottom the bushings go on each side of the kickstand inside the mount. I measured my old ones and the slide hole, and went down to a local alternator/starter repair shop and got three sets of close sizes. I had to trim them down with a dremel cut off wheel and use a thin washer on the top one that is under the cotter key. Couple bucks and some classic redneck engineering is better than the 14.00 bucks the Dealer wants for the crapy ones they sell. Parts store may have them in their small parts drawers, you can check there too. Autozone even has small parts drawers behind the counter. Have the retards that work at my local one didn't even know what was in the drawers.

Comment

So you got bushings from an alternator repair shop? Could I just get washers and make them fit? The schematic looks like its just a washer on the top

Comment

Well, went and bought a new clevis pin from harley cause mine was terrible and worn out..... Figureing that was the problem. Replaced it, not as bad, but still wobbly and doesn't sit solid in place like a new kickstand. So I replaced the spring again thinking the spring might be a little to big, still wobbly. Could I put another washer on it to stuffing it up maybe?

Comment

Did you get new bushings ? The clevis pin goes in from the bottom, through the bottom bushing, then through the kickstand mount hole, then through the top bushing. Then the cotter key looking thing goes in the clevis pin hole. I used a washer on the top bushing because I used bronze bushings I got at an alternator place. You could drill another hole in your kickstand a little further away from the original.

Comment

I asked the harley shop for all the hardware and bushings for my kickstand, got a clevis pin, washer, cotter pin, and new spring.

Comment

I don't rely on the dealer parts guy. I go there with part numbers. Ronnies Harley parts finder has all the part numbers you need. # 27 on the diagram for your bike, bushing (2) Harley part # 53158-98. I think it has been updated I don't know. Without bushings in there it will never be tight.

Comment

It's probably the tab on the kickstand where the spring mounts. They get bent and won't allow the kickstand to rest against the bumper because the spring is out of tension too early.

Comment

Yea, didn't,get those stocker, ill have to grab them tomorrow cause shop is closed, or I can go check auto zone or advance auto see if the have something,close like a door pin bushing

Comment

I measured mine, well what was left of them, outer and inner diameter etc and a local alternator shop had some bronze bushings that were close. I think I gave him a few dollars for three pair of different sizes. They were a little too long and I had to cut them down with a dremel cut off wheel. Used a thin washer on the top under the clevis clip. Auto zone probably has some in their small parts drawers behind the counter. I just wasn't going to pay the stealer 14 bucks for the cheap shit they sell.

Comment

Gotcha. I think they got me for 22 bucks for everything but the bushings

Comment

Yea I try to avoid paying their gangster prices. I have a few cool little hardware stores close, and they usually have all the small parts I want. I went with the alternator generator bushing because I figure if they can stand the spinning of thousands of rpms all day for almost ever, they have to be way better that that cheap crap the MoCo put there.

Comment

Working...
                            X