vert mount licence plate bracket

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vert mount licence plate bracket

so i got my vertical mounted licence plate holder with brake light today, go to put it on and cant find a solid place to put it on the swing arm with the mount supplied. it seems like when i try to put it on the left it has to sit in front of the rear shocks towards motor, and i dont like it that far forward. when i try and go behind the shocks, the caliper mount plate is in the way of being able to put the back of the mounting bracket on. if i go to the left side, its right at the end of my pipes and i dont want the chrome getting all charred up being that i just paid $150 for it. any thoughts or suggestions?

So I have torn the entire rear fender off got the light housing off, but there is a metal bracket in the fender itself. How do I take the bracket out of the fender? I took the vert mount licence plate holder apart and thinking of flush mounting it on the fender, but the bracket protrudes from letting it sit flush.

Comment

Hey Chase, If I remember right you are running a 95? I know when I changed out my sheet metal to a 2000 set I had problems with the tail light also. I ended up having to buy a new tail light assembly for a 2000. I'm thinking there was a bracket on my 99 set also. It's been awhile but I think it was welded on?? If you get a chance take a couple of pics so we all can see what you are looking at. It might help. Not seeing it, it might be something you could cut out with a dremal tool? I don't know than what you would mount to? Just thinking blind here.

Comment

It seems like that peice should come out

Comment

Yea that looks like what was on my 99. I wasn't trying to remove it though. I was replacing the fender with a 2000 model. I guess you could try a real sharp chisel on one edge and see what happens. Be real easy though so you don't mess up the fender. Other wise just cut out the piece you need out of the way with a dremal. The problem is once you cut it it's gone and if it doesn't work out the fender is shot. I'd almost bet it's tacked on there. Wish I could be more help man.

Comment

It's cool, thanks for the info tho! If it doesn't work, I planned on chopping the fender anyways. I got the kuryakyn vert mount licence plate with brake light. The issue is the mounting bracket for the " sportster" is more for a wide Glyde cause the way the rear caliper mount plate is. If I try to put it on the other side, it's right at my exhaust.... so I'm thinking of mounting it to the fender. Who knows it's a work in progress. Will post pics when done tho!

Comment

After cutting old housing and part of fender off, here is the somewhat finished product. Now to wait on my dip kit for it!

Comment

Before the cut

Comment

So after this was completed the brake light worked. Now its stuck "on" sometimes it shuts off and works correctly then after a few times lighting up with the brake, I let off the brake and the brake light stays on. Anyone ever have an issue like this?

Comment

Ultimately it will be a mechanical adjustment to an electrical switch, front or rear.
                    Find which one is sticking and add/remove material to make it work properly.

BTW, front is mechanical, perch-to-lever and rear is fluid pressure, both/either will trigger the light.

Z
                    Livin the dream

Comment

Awesome thanks man

Comment

Working...
                      X