Tires?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tires?

So, what do you run for tires? I've been running Michelin Commanders for a few years. I 've got nothing but good to say about them.
    I spent most of my money on women, whiskey,and motorcycles. The rest, I just wasted.

I use Shinko 777 both front and rear. They are very soft and stick to the road in all conditions. I've had problems with the fronts cupping in the past. They are 100/90-19 would start to cup after about 6000 miles. Apparently, I'm not the only one that had this problem and Shinko addressed it by releasing a new tire which is the same number but has HD at the end which stands for Heavy Duty. The weak sidewalks were stiffened up and I haven't had any problems with them. 777's were really inexpensive when they came out but the price climbed since then but they are still well below the cost of comparable tires made by other manufacturers. I'm staying with them until they give me a reason not to.

Comment

Shinko tourmaster 230 great tyre...use to run Avon venoms ,but they don't make them anymore which is to bad they were the best.
      Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.

Comment

I've been running a set of Michelin Commander II's for the last couple of years. I really like them, and it looks like I'm going to get a third year of use out of them.
        Head Above Water...Ass Below The Radar

Comment

What is the average mileage that you guys are getting out of a Commander II?

Comment

• Stairman
            Stairman commented
            Editing a comment
            I've got 10,000 on the front and rear. I'll be able to ride this summer, maybe more on the rear. The front has less wear.

Originally posted by Terry View Post
          What is the average mileage that you guys are getting out of a Commander II?
          Assuming mine last the rest of this year, 18k or so.

Comment

I'm running the Dunlop American Elite. Made in USA and got them for a good price with a rebate. Mileage limit unknown, but the rear hasn't flattened out much in a few thousand miles. That's saying something in Michigan, lol.

Comment

• ChaseBanks
              ChaseBanks commented
              Editing a comment
              Michigan roads are the worst! I grew up outside of flint.

Originally posted by sprink View Post
            I'm running the Dunlop American Elite. Made in USA and got them for a good price with a rebate. Mileage limit unknown, but the rear hasn't flattened out much in a few thousand miles. That's saying something in Michigan, lol.

I was thinking of giving those a try when my Michelin's need to be replaced.

Comment

I run the stock Harley tire on the rear whatever it is. It is the only tire the local Harley dealer stocks. I run a Avon Venom X tire on the front. It is wider than the Harley tire and has been on there for three years and still has good tread. I think some one on here said they don't make them anymore. That's ashamed very good wear mileage out of the Avon. I get about 2 years out of the Harley rear tire.

Comment

I myself like the Metzelers.
                Bonneville might have beat us again this year but that White Bitch is going down in 2018!!!

Comment

I like the dunlops. Real stiff sidewall. Rode a flat 30 miles to the house one night and never broke the bead.

Comment

I liked the factory Dunlops, got good mileage from both front and rear.
                    I have had Metzlers on the bike the last couple of years, the tires are great when new, but had and still have cupping problems after the first season. I will never buy them again. Right now I have about 50% tread left on my rear tire and it feels like its square with flat spots. I have a new Dunlop to go on very soon.

Comment

The Dunlops are a good tire. The trick to stop the squaring off on the back is to run lower pressure. Metzlers and other tires have too soft a sidewall for me.

Comment

1st thing I do on any Harley I own is get rid of stock crappy dunlops.... I like metzlers, better grab on the road. I see a lot of write-ups on what fav tires are and unfortunately most are price driven... I cannot put a price on being able to stop or being able to stick to the road. On my rebuild I went metzler again, but on my other scoot stock from Harley are michelins... I am still undecided about the michelins, but so far they beat the dunlapse.....

Comment

Originally posted by stocker View Post
                          The Dunlops are a good tire. The trick to stop the squaring off on the back is to run lower pressure. Metzlers and other tires have too soft a sidewall for me.
                          softer rubber wears quicker, but sticks better to the road. question should be do you want more or less friction? (needed for braking and cornering) or do you want high mileage? tires that stick better will never last as long. would be a question answered by the individuals riding style I suppose.

Comment

Working...
                          X