• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips to riding your bike safely

1. Don't fall over
    2. Don't hit anything
    3. Don't let anything hit you

Always get to the intersection BEFORE or AFTER the wreck.

Comment

If you live where I do, it is * VITAL * to be aware of the following 'tips' .... I always make sure to share them with any 'new' riders I am introduced to.

1 ) BEWARE OF TAXI DRIVERS !!!

This city was once a 'destination of choice' for many, many, 'New Canadians' during the past decade due to a flourishing oil industry prior to the price collapse. Many of these 'New Canadians' came from countries where cars (and often schools) are a rarity. Many arrive with a limited command of the English language and no or little education, so landing most jobs is difficult for them. But damn, driving a car sure looks easy and you get to sit on your butt all day (or night) without a lot, if any, sweat involved - and with the modern GPS units that every taxi here have installed you don't even have to know your way around the city. So one of the smart ones who can read and write enough English to pass the written part of the driver's license examination learns how to drive a mini-van sufficiently well enough to pass the actual driving test part of the examination. He is given a driver's license! Now the fun part begins....

He goes to one of the taxi companies and, with his serviceable English and brand new driver's license, gets a job. He rounds up a dozen or so of his 'New Canadian' travelling buddies and takes them to an empty parking lot for a crash-course in mini-van driving. Once they have displayed sufficient ability to not crash, he takes them one-at-a-time down to the office of the taxi company he works for and introduces them. He LENDS the 'new guy' HIS valid license to apply for the job! And believe it or not, there were at least two of the several local taxi companies that fell for this hoax. Once the cops (RCMP here) caught wind of this, they set up a sting and busted two different companies for unlicensed drivers. Basically, the valid license stayed with the vehicle.... while a series of different 'drivers' slid into the seat for the next shift! One company had 11 unlicensed drivers caught using a single valid license, the other company had 9 doing the same thing. Their defense of 'but we all look the same to you' didn't hold up well. This licensing situation has been brought under control, but there are still a lot of terrible taxi drivers here as evident by the body damage prevalent on their vehicles.

And NEVER expect them to use a turn signal. The left hand is for their shiny new cellphone that they buy with their first pay. That turn signal stalk on the steering column? Totally optional, but best avoided. Cellphone use however must be continuous.... the law be damned. I sure wish the courts would jack up the fine for this sky-high or create a three-strikes rule or something. I'm starting to see some of them using an earpiece with a hands-free setup, but not many. That costs money, and that money could be wired to someone back 'home'.

2 ) BEWARE OF MINI-VANS !!!

Yes, *ALL* mini-vans, even if they don't have a taxi light mounted on the roof. Mini-vans are the weapon of choice for the wives of the taxi drivers mentioned above. Guess who 'taught' them to drive? Correct, it was their husband the taxi driver.... even if the ink on his license is still wet. Most of these wives sport headgear that simply doesn't benefit their peripheral vision. But I'd better leave that alone, or else I'm the 'bad guy'.

Sorry for the length, I didn't intend to turn this into a book.
      But I'm NOT sorry for the rant at all, in fact I feel much better now. Time for a nightcap.

Ride safe everybody.

Comment

Kelly Peters Bob Steinmann Int Amph.jpg Useful tips from my dad , pic above -

Don't stop breathing.
        Only go as fast as you can stop
        Sometimes going slower actually makes you faster (this took me years to figure out)
        Be smooth with the throttle
        If the guy behind you keeps hitting you in the ass put'em in the wall (Ok not a safety thing but I always like this one)
        Last edited by Joeracer44; 10-21-2016, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Do not try to outrun the highway man on the interstate. A Sportster or any Harley model is not capable of outrunning a Dodge Charger cop car.

Comment

Originally posted by Joeracer44 View Post
            Kelly Peters Bob Steinmann Int Amph.jpg Useful tips from my dad , pic above -

Don't stop breathing.
            Only go as fast as you can stop
            Sometimes going slower actually makes you faster (this took me years to figure out)
            Be smooth with the throttle
            If the guy behind you keeps hitting you in the ass put'em in the wall (Ok not a safety thing but I always like this one)
            No shit. Your Dad had balls to drive those things. My Dad raced a bike and a modified at Ascot.Raceway when I was a kid.

Comment

Stoker, all the racers back in the day had balls. My dad raced at Ascot back in the late 50's. This link has a picture showing my dad standing on his car while on fire. The motor blew and flames were in the foot box. So he undid his seat belt stood up and drove it into the wall so he could get out. http://www.landyscott.com/photo33.htm

Fire got him in Texas when the drive shaft bearing failed and blew out. It sprayed his legs with oil which caught fire before he could get out of the car.

He drove for some of the big names in the day, Fred Tomshe, Marchese brothers, Roy Sherman, Otto Hamburg. He would drive indoor races in the winter and campaign the AAA, USAC, Badger and IMCA during the spring and summer. He walked away when his friend Tony Bettenhausen was killed at Indy in 1961

Comment

My old man raced at Ascot during the early 60's . A sportster for the bike races and a modified for the stock car races. I was around 4 or 5 but I still remember certain things and even remember the track with the cross in the middle and the pond and the little rise the bikes had to go over for the tt races. Every weekend thing when were youngsters.

Comment

Working...
                X